2018 MnDOT-AGC Bridge Construction Award Winner
Cook County Bridge 16525Bridge 16525 has been selected as a winner of the 2018 MnDOT-AGC Bridge Construction Award in the under-$1.5 million construction cost category.
The bridge was designed by Erickson Engineering and built by S & R Reinforcing, with construction inspection performed by Cook County. Located at Lutsen Resort, the bridge is a 90 ft long, single-span prestressed concrete beam bridge with 28 ft wide roadway, structural tube railing, approach panels, light standards, and architectural surface treatment on abutments, wingwalls, and railing. The design included 100 ft of municipal roadway design and storm sewer.
Erickson Engineering’s services included preliminary and final bridge and approach roadway design, permit applications, utility coordination, soils testing coordination, and regulated waste assessment coordination.
According to Kevin Western, State Bridge Engineer with the MnDOT Bridge Office:
“Notable things about this project that resulted in high marks during judging include:
- Innovation: Creative use of sequencing and staging to maintain all modes of traffic from vehicle to foot traffic. Work in an area of limited access as well as being fairly remote from suppliers and other support. Innovative use of public-private partnership with resort.
- Complexity: Limited access near active resort facility, specific construction sequencing and timelines to meet area needs, enhanced aesthetic features.
- Timeliness: Meeting not just one, but two completion dates with the interim completion date allowing for previously planned events at Lutsen.
- Workmanship: Deck finish and ride quality are very good and overall aesthetics of the bridge are excellent with very good concrete finish and workmanship throughout.
- Other: Contractor and Owner’s outstanding safety record working in close proximity to one of the North Shore’s most popular attractions which remained open throughout construction.”
Congratulations to all involved in the project.